Our FoundersThe Dupar Foundation was founded by Francis Augustus Dupar, SR., and his wife, Ethel Leona (Gilbert) Dupar in 1954. Frank Dupar was born in Grand Island, Nebraska in 1888. He moved west as a young man in 1906 and helped with the cleanup of the great earthquake in San Francisco, before becoming a journeyman plumber. He then moved to Seattle where he started working for Palmer Supply. He later owned Palmer Supply, and got involved in the hotel business. In 1930, Frank called together three other hotel companies to form Western Hotels, Inc.
Frank was active in the community, serving as Secretary-Treasurer for the World’s Fair from 1957 until his death in 1960. Prior to that, he served several positions with the Red Feather Drive, and it’s successors, the United Good Neighbor and United Way, and was very active in the Navy League. He was President of the Seattle Rotary Club and also served as President of the Seattle Rotary Boys Club and he helped start the Bellevue Chapter of the Boys Club.
Frank married Ethel 1n 1918 and they raised 8 children. She was very active in the community, and started the Ethel L. Dupar Fragrant Garden for the Blind and Handicapped. She was an early supporter of the Children’s Orthopedic Hospital and donated many hours to the Seattle Children’s Home. She donated their property at Seabeck to the Camp Fire Girls, which later was sold to the State and is now part of Scenic Beach State Park. The Camp Fire Girls designated part of Camp Sealth ‘Dupar Valley’ in honor of Ethel Dupar.